No doubt, Social media marketing has changed the world of SEO (Search engine optimisation) and online marketing.
Since Google’s Search, we have seen social media having a massive influence on search engine rankings. From the last couple of years, many social media marketing companies are coming onto the market and creating brand awareness through social media promotions.
Earlier, you could only get traffic from search engines (and from paid traffic). But in modern era, the situation has changed completely. The bloggers and internet marketers are using various new social media marketing strategies to tap into targeted traffic streams from popular social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, and Google+, etc.
What is Social Media Marketing?
Social media marketing (SMM) is the act of building brand awareness to drive targeted traffic from various social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, G+, Pinterest, YouTube, Flickr, community forums, etc.
Social media marketing relies on user interactions. Any place or platform where people can interact is a place that can be marketed to.
- Social Media: Social websites such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Google Plus, Flickr, etc. where people (or groups of users) share some kind of media (e.g. images, videos, songs, texts, etc.).
- Social Bookmarking: Websites like Digg, StumbleUpon, Delicious, Reddit etc. where users can bookmark their favourite URLs and share them publicly.
- Social News: Websites like Techmeme where users submit various news articles that get ranked based on popularity.
- Social Apps: With the growing usage of Smartphones, we can’t afford to ignore the importance of social apps like Foursquare and Viber where users can interact with one another on-the-go.
Top most Popular Social Media Sites are the following:
Here’s are some of the ways social media marketing can improve your business:
- Free, Niche-Oriented Traffic: There are a large number of social bookmarking websites floating throughout on the web. Some of these websites have users who will be really engaged with your content. When you find them, these users will be attracted to your content, and your site will benefit from hyper-targeted, free traffic.
- Increased Domain Authority (DA): Search engines give a lot of importance to social bookmarking sites. If your blog is linked with a popular social bookmarking/social media site, it will help to raise your website’s Domain Authority.
- Better Visibility and Popularity: Most bookmarking websites have a ranking/voting system. If your content is excellent, then you will get positive signals from those websites which will help in getting targeted traffic to your blog.
- Better and Cheaper Conversions: Using other methods to drive traffic like CPM advertising, PPC advertising, and banner ads are costly while paying for social media traffic is cheap and highly targeted.
- Get High Rank in SERPs: Search engines give some importance to content shared on social media sites. The primary purpose of search engines is to provide better results for users. Since individuals are submitting those contents on search media sites, if you’re actively campaigning on Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus, and others, your rank in search engines will improve.
- Better Crawling of Blog: Social media promotion assists in better and faster crawling of your website. Promoting old content information on social media sites helps in better and deeper indexing of your website. You can also try building resource pages (like SML’s WordPress guide) always to keep your old posts more relevant and shared on social media.
- Brand Domination: With the use of social media sites, you can turn your blog into a global brand. With the passage of time, users will be active and continually review your blog and your work. This will not only build your blog’s reputation but increase domain and page authority of website also, ultimately bringing in more and more traffic.